We cannot hold a torch to light another's path without brightening our own. Ben Sweetland

Monday, April 19, 2010

La La La: Music in the Classroom

Another great resource for teachers is music. Like images, it can create a learning experience that is far more interesting and entertaining (and therefore memorable!) and ensures that your lesson appeals to musical learners (Gardner, 1975).

Most popular music however is subject to copyright laws and so appealing to 'cool' adolescents may be harder than initially thought. Websites do exist that contain downloadable royalty-free music but the music here is not exactly your Top 10 Hits of the season.

Still, they are useful if, for example, you would like to play background music in the classroom as a calming influence or to use when exploring concepts of emotion. I have heard, for example, of PE teachers using music in topics on sports psychology, getting students to play sports with different types of music playing (such as hard rock, classical or pop) and allowing them to discover how different music can make them feel (and thus play) differently. Music can also be added to power point displays, be played in isolation when analysing lyrics, or be used as a cue in the classroom to indicate when an activity will start and finish. Additionally music can be created by students, not only in a music class, but in any subject area as an active learning strategy, to assist in memorising and to make tasks more engaging. The video below is a good example of making a boring topic fun!!



As an aside, I couldn't help but include this video as another example of music engaging students. What better way to 'waken up' a boring topic than to put it to music? All you Sister Act II fans, enjoy! All of you who are not... you should be!



Always be aware, music has power, especially with children and adolescents. It can change moods, stimulate emotion, engage and entertain. Particularly in the world of adolescents, where (contrary to when I was at school, and I'm sure many others) music is a vital tool for focus, as well as for communication and image. I was once told a story demonstrating the reliance many students have on music. It began with a teacher, struggling to manage a class (haven't I heard this one before?). All of the students had iPods and desperately wanted to listen to them... all of the time! This teacher decided to harness the power of music, setting ground rules for the use of iPods in the classroom (i.e. not to be used when I am talking!). The students agreed to the rules and thoroughly enjoyed listening to their music whilst doing the tasks they were set. The teacher was amazed and fascinated to discover these students were in fact more focused and on-task whilst listening to their music. Free from distractions and feeling more positive, they also achieved more. Now isn't that worth trying?!

I have included the following YouTube video as a last example of how music can be used in the classroom. I think it is a great way of broaching a sensitive topic, bullying, in a way that is relevant and appealing to students.



References

Gardner, H. (1975). Multiple Intelligences.
Retrieved 12 March 2010 from http://www.howardgardner.com/MI/mi.html

The Albiene Christian University Adams Centre for Teaching Excellence. (2000). Why Use
Active Learning?
Retrieved 8 March 2010 from http://www.acu.edu/cte/activelearning/whyuseal2.htm

4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading about your blog about music having power with students. I love music and singing and am envious of anyone with the singing ability. I love Sister Act and the messages you get from the film. Sometimes for teens music is a great way for them to communicate their thoughts, opinions or emotions about anything in particular.
    I allow the same thing in some of my classes regarding the use of Ipods. They are allowed to listen to them during quiet individual work but they come out as soon as I start to talk. It works really well in keeping the students quiet and focused on the required task.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kylie,

    Thanks for the comments. I had my first EPL day today and was talking about the use of iPods with one of the teachers. She said she has also noticed how well students can focus when they are listening to music but also made the valid point that we also need to 'train' them for exam situations. She was saying that studies have been done that show that students link the knowledge they are learning with the music they are listening to at the time and inevitably struggle to retrieve the information when the same music is not playing (i.e. in an exam). I thought she made a good point. I suppose this also ties in with preparing our students for the workplace - music often cannot be played in a workplace setting so would students then struggle in this situation if they have always relied on music for focus??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whilst I agree with the teacher you spoke to that listening to iPods in class does not help with preparing for exams, I feel the need to point out that we are moving away from only testing students using exams.Where is the harm in students listening to music while working on assignments?? (they do at home).
    I am a big beleiver in allowing students to listen to their music in class, with the following rules: they have only 1 earphone in; they are actually doing their work; and when I am talking they earphones are out. With the younger grades (8-10) I also add the rule that they MUST ask first, listening to music in class is a privilledge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sarah,

    I agree, we SHOULD be moving away from exams as assessment but unfortunately, at least from what I have seen during my EPL and from discussions with teachers in my local community, we're not quite there yet! I can only hope that the days of stressful exams, memorising, and knowledge regurgitation are over soon but alas I have noticed the vast majority of teachers still using this as the preferred and significant assessment tool.

    I have spoken to a few of the students in my classes during my EPL and, as you have suggested, set down some fair ground rules. They seem to accept that these rules are necessary and that indeed iPods in the classroom are a privilege. I too am a big believer in allowing this to occur, if of course it is beneficial for the learner. After all, that's what we're all aiming for, creating an environment in which learners learn best.

    Thanks for your thoughts,
    Phebe.

    ReplyDelete